Tuesday, 30 March 2010

The Travelling Heart of Ali Jayne



My wee head has been swirling for days with many things, big ideas, new plans, revelations, being still. I want to share something of God’s incredible provision. I shan’t include exact figures because I don’t truly want everyone who comes across this blog to know :)
So. I haven’t worked a paid job in over 21 months.
I have been travelling the world with Jesus, I have visited 17 countries, 2 more if you want to count Ireland and Scotland and I have explored so many places within those countries.
I have travelled in many different ways: cars, buses, boats, planes, trains, subways, metros, song taos, tuc tucs, boda boda’s, bicycles, motorbikes, tractors, in the bed of trucks, elephant back, minivans, walked, been carried, hiked, climbed.


I have eaten at least 2 meals a day everyday during those 21 months. Whether in Africa, or Scotland, East Timor or Romania. Things like grasshoppers, rats on a skewer, silkworms, matoke, chapattis, bananas,maize, sugar cane, rice, coconut sticky rice, beans, pad thai, pizza, stew and fish from Lake Victoria in Uganda.



I have had somewhere to lay my head: in a tent, on concrete, on mats, on a bed, in a hostel, in a house, in a shack, in a dorm, on a floor, on a carpet, in a double bed, in a sofa bed.



I have had water: from a borehole, a tap, a pump, a river, a well, a hose, a bucket, the rain, a waterfall, and a stream.


I have had clothes to wear everyday: my Ugandan dress, my hill tribe outfit, my Cambodian dress, my Thai fisherman pants, my dress, my shorts, my hoody, my pyjamas.



I learned how to make yummy juice in Uganda for free from green oranges, sugar, water and passion fruits. That was a favourite of mine J

As you can see, I was provided for every single day, over and above the minimum wherever I went. Even when I was down to my last penny, something would happen and God would provide. Like when I was in Hawaii and in a hostel in downtown Honolulu, this lovely man called Kent Baldwin from LA befriended me. He was a middle-aged man, very rich but liked to take wee breaks in hostels because of the people he would meet. He became very interested in my story and why I was even in Hawaii and how I afforded to get there. He blessed me so much, he gave me his American cell phone for 3 days with unlimited minutes so I could call friends and update people on my travels and plan things to come. He took me out for coffee on 3 occasions and made me a classic bachelor meal one evening of corned beef hash, mashed potatoes and sweetcorn and I loved him for it! I didn’t have enough money for calling cards, or for much food for dinner never mind the luxury of coffee! Praise God!


Now I am back in Scotland and have been unable to find a consistent job. I have made no money from any job while being here, apart from a few kind donations from good friends. I have also been selling a couple of things on Ebay, which has helped a little bit. Everything I have received, I have put straight into savings. God asked me to do that in January.
Now I have saved up an awesome amount of money, I cannot quite believe it! It’s completely God’s multiplication and provision for another time away with him but he has provided for me against all odds and despite having no job! Glory be to Him who provides for his girl!
The other day I put on my empty backpack. On reading this you will either find me sad, or endearing, or plain weird. But I just talked to it and said “Mr Backpack, I truly miss being with you everyday! Even when you are heavy on my back! I love filling you with just enough of what I need. Let’s adventure again soon please.”
Incase you are wondering what his reply to this was, he smiled at me.
YES!


You can probably tell from reading this that my heart is beating faster and that I am oh so ready for more adventuring. Being only 24, now is prime time to do this. I am not planning on stopping my travelling ways when I get married or have children, however I’m aware that right now being alone is the most freedom I will have to just pick up my sticks and go! (Meaning I don’t need to plan how many nappies/diapers I need to take with me etc). I can just pack for myself and run off holding hands with Jesus. That’s how it feels. He always does this. Grabs my hand and whisks me off. Even when I’m at home, he whispers to me “Let’s go somewhere alone” and we drive off to the beach together or go a long country drive together. I never want this to end.

I found an old journal of mine from early 2007 and as I read, I found this was the time I began to notice God pursuing me. It’s really exciting to read the early stages of our love. My journey of self-discovery in Him.
“I feel unsought, like noone has the passion or courage to pursue me – but GOD HAS!”
Awesome. I love to see myself discovering this stuff as 21 year old. The year it all began truly for God and me together.
I am the one who overwhelms His heart with just one glance of my eyes. (SOS 4:9)
I am the one who takes Gods breath away by my beautiful heart that against all odds, hopes in Him.
God romances us with love notes and signs in the beauty around us- sunsets, streams, flowers, starfish, leaves, rays of sunshine, the ocean.
Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment